Heritage Tourism Conference
Developing a Sustainable Heritage Tourism Sector
in Small Irish Towns.
Launch of Buttevant Heritage Trail Audio Guide
Saturday, 14th October 2017
Colaiste Mhuire, Buttevant, Co. Cork
About the Conference
Developing a Sustainable Heritage Tourism Sector in Small Irish Towns
This year Buttevant is celebrating 700 years as a medieval walled town.
To mark this anniversary, Buttevant Heritage Group, with the support of the Irish Walled Town Network (IWTN) is organising a heritage tourism conference. Buttevant, in conjunction with TII have commissioned Abarta Heritage to produce an audio guide, Buttevant Heritage Trail, of Buttevant’s heritage sites. We are delighted to launch this at our conference.
Like many communities in rural Ireland, Buttevant has a close connection with its built and natural heritage. This conference is of particular interest to those involved in community groups, local history and heritage groups who wish to preserve and enjoy their natural and built heritage and who wish to contribute to the North Cork region.
Groups or individuals involved in businesses that support tourism are also crucial to this conference: activity-based centres, food and drink, entertainment, accommodation, agri-tourism, transport, etc.
With this in mind, we will discuss the key success factors of similar towns and projects from across the country.
The three themes of this conference are:
- Identifying the local attributes, both big and small, which would be attractive to tourists
- Conserving local built, natural and intangible heritage
- Bundling, or creating experiential packages, working with local food and accommodation providers and developing packages with neighbouring towns and villages, in order to promote what a town and its wider region has to offer.
This conference is free and open to all. Registration is essential.
Please register to secure a place at the conference.
“Developing a Sustainable Heritage Tourism Sector in
Small Irish Towns”
Date: Saturday, 14th October 2017.
Venue: Colaiste Mhuire, Buttevant, Co Cork.
Opening Address by:
Mr Tim Lucey
Chief Executive of Cork County Council
Registration 9 – 10 am Tea and coffee
Panel 1: 10am – 11.15am
Title: Tourism in Action: From Idea to Marketable Product
Chair: Sean O’Sullivan, CEO Cork Marts; Treasurer, Buttevant GAA.
- Frances Taylor, Cooley Peninsula Tourism Officer
- Trea Heapes Loop Head Tourism and Purecamping eco-retreat
- 3rd speaker – awaiting confirmation
Coffee break: 11.15 – 11.45
Panel 2: 11.45am – 1pm
Title: Advice, Insights and Assistance from Heritage and Tourism Professionals
Chair: Sean O’Sullivan
- Conor Nelligan, Heritage Officer, Cork County Council
- Valerie Murphy, Chief Executive, Avondhu Blackwater Partnership, CLG.
- Triona O Mahony, Destination and Marketing Manager, Munster Vales.
Lunch: 1 – 2pm
Panel 3: 2 – 3.15 pm
Chair: Mariead Lavery, editor Irish Country Living with the Irish Farmers Journal
Title: Local Opportunities and Challenges in Heritage and Activity Tourism
Break out groups for discussion on selected topics.
Coffee Break: 3.15 – 3.45pm
Session 4: Round Table Discussion 3.45 – 5.00pm
Chair: Mairead Lavery
The Round Table discussion will involve the professionals and practitioners present at the Conference in conjunction with input from groups and individuals involved in community, heritage, tourist and activity ventures.
Colaiste Mhuire, Buttevant, Co Cork.
Colaister Mhuire, Buttevant, Co. Cork
Country House Mallow
Boherash, Buttevant, Co. Cork, Ireland
Tel: +353 (22) 27584 or +353 (86) 0250250